true {glory}






"If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. 

It is my Father who glorifies me..."






//





Those are the words of Jesus in John 8:35. And dang do they hit like a ton of bricks.

For context, this is Jesus' response when questioned by the religious leaders on His bold words claiming to be the Son of God. As He affirms His place above biblical heroes like Abraham and the prophets, they become infuriated and question how He could put Himself in such a position.

But Jesus is the picture of perfect, biblical humility.
He doesn't back down on who He is. He doesn't try to make Himself seem "lower" in man's eyes in hopes of acceptance. He is confident in what God says, fully submissive to the Father's will.

Think about that - Jesus Himself says "If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing."
J E S U S, the very Son of God who sits at the right hand of the Almighty, Creator.

Though He was God, 
He did not think of equality with God as something to cling to.
Instead, He gave up His divine privileges;
He took the humble position of a slave and was born as a human being.
When He appeared in human form, 
He humbled himself in obedience to God and died a criminal’s death on a cross
// Philippians 2:6-8, NLT

It's moments like these that I fully understand the Psalmist as he cries out in Psalm 144:3 - "LORD, what is man, that You take knowledge of him? Or the son of man, that You are mindful of him?"
I fail at this so much more than I would care to admit. I scheme to glorify myself and let my pride dictate the ways I deal with insecurities. Yet Jesus sets the stage as the perfect example of how to be confident in God while truly bringing glory to the Father.

2 Corinthians 12:9 has seemed to be a recurring theme lately, and a constant reminder of the humble, submissive attitude of Christ that is key to allowing God to work in + through my life:
"Each time He (Jesus) said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses so that the power of Christ can work through me."

Is this completely backwards, upside-down, opposite, and contrary to every natural desire? YOU BET.
I'll admit it - I reaaalllllyyy don't like looking inadequate or unable or "weak" in most circumstances. Sure, I ask for help and on the outer edges, I'm pretty confident on where my limits are. But deep down inside, there's this desire to execute everything perfectly. To have it all set and confident on the outside when I'm totally pulling a "fake it 'till you make it." In reality, I'm striving for my own glory. Sometimes in an attempt to lift my pride and sometimes thinking that all that striving is somehow an appropriate response to what Christ has given me.

But guys, Jesus didn't strive for glory. The One who would have "every right" in my human mind in glorifying Himself.

YOU KNOW, THE SON OF GOD WHO CAME DOWN FROM HIS PLACE IN HEAVEN TO COME DOWN TO THIS BROKEN WORLD AND SUFFER AN EXCRUCIATING DEATH JUST SO WE COULD HAVE A RELATIONSHIP WITH HIM AND SO HE COULD CREATE A WAY FOR US TO BE WITH HIM FOR ETERNITY IN HEAVEN

So who am I to try and get glory for myself? 

Oh friends, that we might be more willing to let God use our weaknesses. To let Him raise us up in His timing. To set our eyes on eternal glory through the lens of the cross. To be open about weaknesses, allowing God to use us in mightier ways. That's what every child of God wants, right?

All honor and glory to God forever and ever! 
He is the eternal King, the unseen One who never dies; He alone is God. 
Amen 
// 1 Timothy 1:17

Comments

Popular Posts